Wyoming is a village in Wyoming County, New York. As of the 2000 census, the village has a total population of 513.
The Village of Wyoming lies within the Town of Middlebury by the eastern town line. Wyoming is located on New York State Route 19.
The Village of Newell’s Settlement was founded in 1809. It was later renamed to “Wyoming” in 1829, to be incorporated in 1916. It was one of the earliest locations where natural gas was developed. While the field was never a large producer, it still provides gas for the village streetlights and some homes to this day. The downtown historic district is known as the “Gaslight Village.”
Middlebury Academy was built in 1817 and was chartered by the NY Regents in 1819, and is believed to be the first institution of higher education west of the Genesee in New York. It still stands in downtown Wyoming, maintained as a museum by the Middlebury Historical Society. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as of 1980. Also on the National Register of Historic Places are the Bryant Fleming House and Wyoming Village Historic District.
Another historic place is Hillside Inn, a classic Greek revival mansion built by Dr. Pliny Hayes as a Water Cure establishment in 1851. It overlooks the village of Wyoming, and until 2012, was a bed and breakfast inn. The Hillside Inn was auctioned on August 17, 2012 at 3:00 p.m. by Bontrager Auctioneers. It also has been a spa (with mineral springs) and has hosted many famous people including Susan B. Anthony, John Muir, and Presidents Theodore and Franklin D. Roosevelt.